Monday 15 August 2011

Silveira House national workshop


Just before start of the holidays we had a national workshop about M&E. This means (two) lecturers from all the colleges (14 of them) came together to reflect, plan and act upon their Monitoring an Evaluation, ways to strengthen learning. This was done in a workshop of three days, with activities set up to lead the participants through the process. The whole VVOB team served as facilitators (leading activities) or joined in as participants. Hanne was writing the report and Nennivah and I were pointed as helpers, because we’d have to finalize the whole thing afterwards as Hanne would be on holiday. To start off we were both more ‘secretaries’, copying out what was on flipcharts, while Hanne typed up the discussions going on and added in highlight all the extra things we’d have to add. Sometimes I’d just start feeling useless so I’d randomly start doing double work, might as well look busy!
On day two Hanne was absent for half the day, so this gave us the responsibility of capturing all that happened. During the discussions I just typed like a crazy person and afterwards put it into a nice text. Hanne seemed content with it when I passed her my part, so now I have a little half page which is all my own in the report! SCORE!
The workshop ended with quite a success, VVOB learnt about where it can improve and the colleges learnt how to continue on with their own questions on how to improve their learning within their colleges.
Because Hanne is on a three week holiday, and the report has not been fully finalized the communications team has been put responsible for it. Among the tasks involve finalizing some things that were missed out on, making creative compositions of little pieces of text (for example, people had to describe Day One as a book title), and adding pictures where needed. Only the last part needs to be done and then it is final! I feel like it’s an accomplishment though I after all did not do much to it.

The workshop took place at Silveira House, which is some kind of conference center with accommodation possibilities, quite a nice place and as far as meals go, we always had choice between rice and sadza, always nice! It was quite a bit out of town, and being with someone who had a car and a possibility of picking others up it meant always leaving extremely early! One time even so early we left half our people behind because they weren’t on time! Motivation that is!
They also have an arts and craft village next to the center where I went to have a look, it is quite impressive how much they had! I only saw the outside - where the big sculptures were, but apparently they also had cloths, earrings and other small art pieces.

In the meantime time has flown by like I could never have imagined, I am halfway the internship, which means my mid-term evaluation desperately needs to be filled in tomorrow, but also that I have two weeks left before getting my final results from here and handing in the internship paper. And then I’ll be a bachelor student!! Let’s all hope the coming month doesn’t go past quite as fast, I’m not ready yet to make the decisions for the master..

No comments:

Post a Comment