Monday 18 July 2011

Cooking on fire - smoked bolognese

The weekend started fairly relaxed - I had made no plans whatsoever! Saturday morning I woke up, partly out of habit, partly out of going to bed so early, at 8o’clock. And when you wake up that early , the day seems to go on forever! It would result in me going to bed record-time early in the evening! I played soccer with Taku and Tanya, watched some tv over the morning and just as we were going to get breakfast started, the electricity went, and it wouldn’t be back till the evening. So breakfast was fire-made and afterwards I sat in the sun, for once that it was around while I was outdoors. The afternoon was filled mainly with preparing dinner, we took the combi to the closest shops and did the groceries - finding what you can find. The menu for the evening was Maï-based and I’d be making Spaghetti Bolognese. Whether the end product can really be called Bolognese is questionable though, I didn’t add mushrooms, but did add green beans, and some frozen vegetables that included maize - the usual pasta sauce pot was replaced by a can of tomatoes and onions. Despite what it was called, I made my first meal on a fire, and I was determined to try it (and succeed) despite them asking if I was sure I wouldn’t wait till Sunday to see if there was electricity then. MaiTanya was even prepared to call my mum so she could join in the pride of her daughter cooking on fire. What the whole commotion was about, I’m not sure, it took a little longer to cook than it would otherwise but I didn’t get burnt and it tasted great! And this was me cooking for as many as 9 people! I got compliments, so I guess I can keep my weekend evenings free to cook!

Sunday I started the very first part of my internship report, just to have a beginning, and to make sure I wouldn’t be leaving it to the very last minute. Later, we went to church, it was in a small pre-school. Very interesting to see, it started with some bible study, and then preaching and prayer. Some people getting very involved! Apparently it’s normal.. I had to introduce myself as the newbee, obviously I was quite obvious. And then they said they were starting an English service, to which I proudly said: not necessary, thank you, I speak Shona. It was very interesting, with a bit of singing which obviously was also nice!


Over the afternoon I met with Shamiso at Westgate, it looked so familiar, immediately recognizable, almost no changes after 10 years, except that everything was closed (one half, because it was Sunday, the other half because they are permanently closed and empty), including the cinema. A very sad sight to see! (and I’m starting to think Harry Potter in Zimbabwe won’t work for me, in 3D surely not!). So we decided to combi down to Avondale where we knew at least there was the flea market. It was great seeing Shami after so long, catching up on old times! I never thought that would happen! Definitely will be happening again!

Over the evening, ra ra, the electricity left again, luckily food was ready and to kill time we just went for a short walk. Another good weekend passed, and another new week around the corner, which will be starting with me leading the Monday team meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment